Wednesday, September 5, 2012

WIP Wednesday

So I rethought the colors of my skirt again. I did end up switching from horizontal to vertical stripes and I it seems to harmonize with the pattern much better. I guess it was kind of against the pattern's nature to try and force horizontal stripes on it!




And while I was thinking about the whole matter and waiting for people to voice their opinion (in the end, I listened to my husband, who thought the vertical stripes would be more flattering...), I needed a small project to give my mind some rest. So I started making this cute little needle case. The crocheting was done quickly and I blocked the acrylic to help it lie flat. Now I "just" need to sew in some fabric and get felt for the part that holds the needles...



And I finally caved and dabbled a bit in knitting... The (Danish and very cool!) dollar store had bamboo knitting needles for 1€, it's all theirs fault. They also had a hook size I didn't have yet for 2€... and some bulky acrylic in an awesome color! Well, it's really low quality, you can pull it apart with your bare hands and it wasn't as cheap as the needles. After painstakingly casting on some stitches for the first time and twisting my fingers until midnight, this was the result:












But I have to admit, it wasn't half as hard as teaching myself the first steps of crochet. I guess that's because this time I know how to hold yarn, control the tension of it, know what all those number on the yarn and needles mean... it helped a lot to know a somewhat related craft when starting a new one!



And now, head on over to Kristine's and see what everyone else is up to! Also stop by Sara's!


3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that skirt is so beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished project. I love the little flowers at the bottom. Nice to have a German girl at my party! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting?!?!?! lol - just kidding ;) I've wanted to try for years, but I just don't have enough quiet time to try. Good for you. And I love the skirt! It looks great with the stripes that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D I know... knitting, what was I thinking. It takes soooo long! And I learned one stitch so far, but the scarf is growing and I really hope to find some time next week to write a new blog post...

    ReplyDelete